Thursday, June 28, 2007

Another slow (for the dogs) week

Not much training, but then I was at work a good chunk of the weekend and Tuesday night only got 2 hours sleep staying up with a dog in ICU. Sooooooo, this morning Bethena was wound pretty tight and rarin' to go. Iggy is more adaptable and would have slept in with me. Bethena was pretty sure that 6:30 was an appropriate wake-up call. She didn't manage to go back to sleep until I was in the shower after having grudgingly got up -- then, I got out to find her sacked out on the floor next to the tub, sound asleep. Go figure.

I took them swimming this morning to try to get some of the ya-yas out. There were herds of deer flies, but the dogs had a good time (the deer flies probably did, too). I don't think, however, that the group of somewhat elderly looking birders who were at the pond had such a good time. They didn't seem to appreciate Bethena's splashing or the cowbell on Iggy's collar. One of them was quite put out; she asked me if dogs were allowed there. Another gentleman was very kind and wanted to see the dogs swim. Bethena (as always) put on quite a show, doing her best flying leap into the pond.

This afternoon is class, I'm not sure if I'll work with Bethena or Iggy; I'll probably try to alternate and have Iggy do the heeling and Bethena the other stuff. I still haven't managed to take Iggy down to Hanover to work on the green there. I should have done it this morning, but I didn't even think of it. The rest of this morning I'm going to mow the yard then set up my new practice jumps that I finally bought. I kept thinking I was going to go to Home Depot and buy the PVC pipe and vinyl siding and make them, but realistically, that was never going to happen. Instead, I bought them from J&J. I think the next purchase will be scent articles to start working with Bethena in a more controlled fashion than I've been able to do so far. What the hey, it's only money.

2 comments:

sjevet said...

Igga has a fever...and the only prescription to cure it is MORE COWBELL!!!!! He's a gangsta rappa rocka, what can I say!?!?

Anonymous said...

Why do you have a cowbell on Iggy's collar....and what kind of scent articles would you use training Bethena...I have two dogs but don't have any frame of reference in which to draw from...sounds like a lot of fun as well as hard work.