Saturday, March 3, 2007

A Retrieving Breakthrough!

Bethena and I had a BIG celebration this afternoon when she retrieved the dumbell in the living room, brang in back to me, sat in front holding it, and then gave it to me on command! She even did it several times in a row. Yippee!

Of course, she probably won't do it again for several months now. She's been there, done that, and will be bored by it already.

We also worked on targeting, and she started to get that a bit better after trying Martha's "toss the treat" technique. When we stopped working on that, the target stick had dog spit and drool all over it. Anyone who has seen the drool spots she leaves on the training mats as she anticipates rewards or has seen the gazillion pictures of her where there are drool drops on her chest fur as she focuses on the treat that I am holding to get her attention will understand the spit issue.

Later on, I will have to try working on a little heeling and "down" with Iggy... He knows "stay" so well (tho he looks tortured because he has absolutely no idea WHY he is supposed to be staying) and "come" but down seems to be more difficult, as it was for Bethena.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to know your training is going so well (Bethena). Keep up the good work (Bethena). Make sure you're getting adquately rewarded for your efforts (Bethena & Iggy). Please keep us up to date on any future progress (Diane).

Kris said...

I was so pleased the other day to have Iggy slow down enough so I could see his face. He's a really beautiful dog. I'm sure Bethena is too, but I've never seen her stop moving enough so I could tell.

Thanks for taking such good care of Iris, Auntie Di. She was happy to be home last night.