Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Countdown to Showtime

The first trial at Hopkinton is tomorrow. Bethena and I have been able to do some practicing, but not a lot. Last week at class she did really well. We did two run-thrus; I could tell she was tired for the second one, but I was still able to keep her focus (most of the time). We were able to do our run-thrus right after Heide and Ella then Heide and Cola, which was nice because we are right after Heide and Cola both days at Hopkinton. Bethena is going to have to pay attention to me instead of to Auntie Heide, who she thinks is one of the best people in the world.

Part of the issue is that Bethena loves company and loves a new audience. She demonstrated that last night when my parents got her. I don't think she stopped moving for two and a half hours. The whole time they brought things in from the car, got settled, had dinner, and sat on the couch after dinner before bed, she was in constant motion -- toy in mouth, wiggling her butt, panting (with the toy still in her mouth) with excitement. Of course, she likes to share the joy, so much of the time she was trying to put the toy in your face (which usually meant running into your leg because she couldn't reach your face). When she gets focused on her audience, sometimes the show is more important than the script.

I did get my new scent articles. Bethena is great at tracking and can play the "where is it?" game with hidden biscuits really well. Trying to get her to understand that I want her to sniff an article and choose an article based on the way it smells is a whole different issue. I suspect there will be a break-through moment where all of a sudden she gets it and then we will be all set. Until then, it will be a matter of patience.

Iggy has been able to take it easy, too. We have done a little heeling in the front yard, but not a lot. It has been rainy and I have been on call,so we haven't had a lot of time. Once Hopkinton is done, I will have to start working and proofing him more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts go out to you and Bethena from all of us here for the Hopkinton competition....[Not quite sure whether Iggy is going to be there with you]..and..Labs......wonderful Labs......wiggling butts...toys in mouth...and tail wagging seem to go hand and hand....at least that's what my Lab is consistent in showing me.